Kawartha Nordic is excited to be hosting our skiathlon race on Sunday 2-Feb-2020 starting at 10am. A much longer and more storied, but informal version of the skiathlon has been a staple event at Kawartha Nordic for many years.
This event is meant to be a fun introductory race experience, for skiers of all ages and abilities. Registration Now Open!
- The first race wave start is scheduled for 10am Sunday 2-Feb-2020.
- A team captains meeting will be held at 9am in the WoodFine Chalet.
- All race day registrations are $40/person. Please pay by cash/credit/debit at the trailhead rental shop, and bring your receipt to the registration table in the WoodFine Chalet before 8am.
- If the race is cancelled due to insufficient registrations or weather, a full refund will be provided minus a $5 processing fee. The $1.50/skier Zone4 processing fee is also not refundable. Requests for individual refunds will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Those interested in racing up to an older age category or in Paranordic categories, should contact the Chief of Competition, Todd Harris RaceKawarthaNordic@gmail.com, in advance to discuss options.
- Skiathlon Races:
- Each skier will complete the first half of the race using Classic technique and the second half with Free technique.
- Skier's will have an assigned space in which to leave their Skate gear, for the mid-race transition.
- You may wish to bring a small mat or carpet square on which to stand, if changing your boots.
- The time taken in transition will be included as part of the racer's total elapsed race time.
- 2-Person Relay Races:
- The starting team member will ski with the Classic technique and, once tagged by their teammate, the second team member will ski with Free technique.
- Both members of a 2-person relay team must be registered individually, and with the same team name.
- Start groups for all races will be determined once registration closes, and may involve collapsing genders or ages. Start position within a group will be determined by random draw, with all race day registrants starting last.
- The 9 km & 18 km races will follow a 4.5 km loop, while the 3 km and 6 km races will use a 3 km loop.
- While the course will be marked, our trails will be open to the public, and you could encounter both non-racers and and participants competing in other races during your race.
- All racers, parents and support crew are asked to uphold the SOD Paraffin race series requirement that only regular, non-fluorinated or low-fluoro paraffin glide wax be used on racing skis for all categories, including Senior and Masters. No mid or high flouro waxes, hardners, gels, liquids, powders, etc. This restriction does not apply to grip waxes.
- We are also looking for volunteers to help make this event a success. If you or anyone you know, might be interested, please have them contact Todd Harris at RaceKawarthaNordic@gmail.com.